Thursday, August 28, 2008

Breaking Traditions!

I did it and so will my boys!
Lance always participated in the Johnson City Fair and Rodeo as a kid. Whether it was the stick horse races or mutton bustin he was out there. Lawton did the mutton bustin a few years back and last year was Zane's turn to start in the family tradition. He was so cute riding his stick bull, but he cried at every turn. This year I was prepping him for the festivities, but God was prepping Lance in something completely different. This year our church had their annual baptism and back to school bash the same weekend that the rodeo fell and during the same time. I knew it wasn't a hard choice to decide which to go to because we have always gone and we had to carry out the traditions....the rodeo! So about a week or two before the Saturday Lance told me he was wanting to get baptized. AND MISS THE RODEO! WHAT!!!!
I was shocked and floored. I had been waiting for the day for Lance to decide to get baptized ever since the day that he decided to follow Christ wholeheartedly about 7 years ago. He was baptized as a child but wanted to do the "REAL" baptism again. I believe that our church calls it re-dedication. A few nights before he wanted our whole Acacia group (home group from church) to get in the river with him. It was a great time and of course I cried during the whole thing! God is so good!!!

Lance playing with the boys!!
My friend Jen with our friends little boy, Matthew!
See, we do love each other!
Being surrounded by our "family"
and he is UP!!!! I love seeing all of us with each other!
I think there is something so neat about being baptized in water that our heavenly Father created. Our pastor tells a great story about the Jordan River and how it always looks so calm, but it really is rough white water. That is how our lives look, not calm all the time but rough and fast flowing. I love that picture!

No comments: