Monday, October 27, 2008

What do the Klein Saturdays look like?

As a child I remember our Saturdays of getting up early, watching cartoons and I would make coffee for my mom and dad. Saturdays were relaxing! My biggest thing was getting to go to Wal-Mart with my Dad to pick out new bushes to plant. We would go home and my sister Melanie, my mom and dad and myself worked in the yard. My other sister sat in her room and read. We would go to the park for pic-nics with neighbors or friends from church. Our Saturdays were ours. I did play sports growing up but our games were on week nights and so was practice. Of course this was back in the day when teaches and schools realized that kids played sports so not much homework was given. It was also during the time when no homework was given on Wednesdays because most families went to church on that night (that is a whole other blog). It was also a time when there was no select sport teams and playing sports did not run the family. The family ran the sport. I am not shy to say that I do NOT enjoy watching soccer. It is growing on me but it is still by far my least favorite. So years ago I was not happy to find out that Lawton was going to play select soccer for a team in Boerne. Our Saturdays revolve around where and when the game is. I'm not talking one hour but more like 2 not including the traveling time to get to these places. It makes me sad that every Saturday our life our family revolves around this and for Zane this is the only life he knows. Zane doesn't know Saturday pic-nics in the park or Saturday "fun" day. He knows at 3 it is Lawton soccer day. I feel that it takes away from us going as a family to the zoo or harvest fields in the fall, hunting weekends in Freer. Most of you are saying big deal we all have sports on Saturdays, but what you need to understand is that select soccer is year round. Yes, year round!!
As I sit and complain, I couldn't be happier for the soccer player that Lawton has become. I have watched him get more aggressive and fight for the ball for his team. I have seen him get excited for others when they score and I have watched him teach Zane everything that he knows. Zane gets so proud of Lawton out on the fields and yells "Good Job Lawton" at every game. Even though I get bummed with not allowing Zane to do kid things, I see him support and cheer on his Big Brother!
















4 comments:

Jamie King said...

Soccer... yes I did not bring it up this time, but my kids did want to play! So we are Saturdaying as well. Well my family is. I get to see the pictues and hear the stories! Year round? Wow! See now you just need to homeschool. You can have a picnic every day!!! :) (Just giving you a hard time!)

Jen Taylor said...

ohhhhh, I am sorry. I know it's not your favorite. But, at least it's only ONE day a week!!

Homeschool, schmomeschool. Come on Jamie.

Jen Taylor said...

oh, and LOVE the makeover on the new blog!

The Garrison's said...

Love the blog facelift...I need an update!